Cygnus 2+ Hands Free
Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge
Key Features of the Cygnus 2+ Hands-Free UTG
- Multiple-Echo mode for accurate, through-coat measurements as specified by Classification Societies
- Echo-Echo and Single-Echo modes for heavily corroded metals with a thin or no coating
- Hands free operation: wrist, waist belt and harness mountable
- End-Mounted display shows thickness measurements – ideal for rope access or climbing work
- Front display enables easy gauge setup
- Deep Coat function ignores coatings up to 20 mm (0.8 inch) thick
- MSI™ (Measurement Stability Indicator) verifies stable, reliable readings
- Intuitive easy to use menu
- Extremely rugged enclosure – shock and impact proof to US MIL STD 810G
- Environmental sealing (water and dust proof) to IP67 – US MIL STD 810G.
- Uses single and twin crystal probes
- One and two point calibration
- Can be upgraded to 4+ or 6+ at an additional cost.
Three Versatile Measuring Modes
- Multiple-Echo mode uses three error checked back wall echoes to provide the most reliable and accurate remaining thickness measurements, with no need to remove coatings (up to 20 mm thick (0.8 inch))
- Single-Echo mode is ideal for measuring uncoated metals with heavy front and/or back-wall corrosion. Also effective on a range of cast metals, plastics and composites
- Echo-Echo mode works best for measuring heavily corroded metals through thin coatings of up to 1 mm (0.04 inch) thick, ideal for measuring painted metals with heavy back wall corrosion.
Measurement Stability Indicator (MSI™)
Exclusive to Cygnus, MSI™ ensures stable and therefore reliable measurements are displayed in Echo‑Echo and Single-Echo modes.
Multiple-Echo Ignores Coatings up to 20 mm (0.8 inch) Thick
Measuring Heavily Corroded Metals
Echo-Echo Mode Ignores 1 mm (0.04 inch) Thick Paint
Cygnus Thickness Gauge Impact Test
Cygnus Thickness Gauge Water Resistance Dunk Test
Cygnus Thickness Gauge Water Resistance Hose Test
Measuring Uncoated Small Diameter Pipes
Measuring Small Diameter Pipes Through Coatings
|Measuring Modes||Multiple-Echo using 3 echoes to ignore coatings up to 20 mm (0.8 inch) thick|
Echo-Echo using 2 echoes to ignore coatings up to 1 mm (0.04 inch) thick
Single-Echo using 1 echo
|Materials||Velocities from 1,000 – 9,000 m/s (0.0390 – 0.3543 in/us)|
|Accuracy||±0.05 mm (±0.002”) – in Multiple-Echo measurement mode, when calibrated and measuring the same material as calibrated on|
±0.1 mm (±0.004”) or 0.1% of thickness measurement whichever is the greatest – in Single-Echo & Echo-Echo measurement modes, when calibrated and measuring the same material as calibrated on
|Resolution||Multiple-Echo mode – 0.1 mm (0.005 inch) or 0.05 mm (0.002 inch)|
Single-Echo and Echo-Echo modes – 0.01 mm (0.005 inch) or 0.01 mm (0.001 inch)
|Probe Options||Single crystal probes and Twin crystal probes|
|Measurement Range in Steel||0.8 – 250 mm (0.031 – 10 inch) depending on selected probe and configuration, material and temperature|
|Connector||2 x Lemo 00|
|Power||3 x AA / R6 batteries|
|Battery Life||Approx. 10 hours continuous measurement|
|Electronics||Dual channel pulser|
|Display||End-mounted rotatable LCD: 25.58 x 6.38 mm (for measurements)|
2.4” QVGA LCD: 47 x 37 mm (for gauge setup only)
|Size||84 x 130 x 35 mm (3.3 x 5.1 x 1.4 inch)|
|Weight||300 g (10.5 oz) (inc. batteries)|
|Operating Temp.||-10°C to 50°C (14°F to 122°F)|
MIL STD 810G Method 501.6 (high temp +55°C (131°F))
MIL STD 810G Method 502.6 (low temp -20°C (-4°F))
MIL STD 810G Method 507.6 (humidity 95%)
MIL STD 810G Method 512.6 (immersion 1 metre for 30 mins)
|Shock and Impact||MIL STD 810G Method 514.7 (vibration)|
MIL STD 810G Method 516.7 (shock 20g)
MIL STD 810G Method 516.7 (transit drop 1.22 m)
|Standards||Designed for EN 15317|
|Compliance||CE, UKCA, RoHS|
|Warranty||3 years on gauge and 6 months on probe|
Basic Gauge Kit
- Cygnus 2+ gauge
- Operating manual
- Neck strap
- Accessory pouch, containing; 3 x AA batteries, blue couplant gel.
Kit supplied with Single Element Probe
- Ultrasonic probe
- Moulded probe cable
- 15 mm (or ½ inch) steel test block
- Spare membranes
- Membrane key
- Membrane couplant.
Kit supplied with Twin Element Probe
- Ultrasonic probe
- Moulded probe cable.
To compliment our ultrasonic thickness gauges we offer a range of ultrasonic probes. The performance of any ultrasonic thickness gauge relies heavily on the probe and its suitability to the material being measured. Therefore, selecting the right probe is vital. All Cygnus’ probes are made from stainless steel and have a hard wear face or a wear membrane to protect the probe.
Variety of Cygnus INOX Probes
- Stainless steel SINGLE CRYSTAL probes, used in multiple-echo mode, include replaceable membranes for long life, require no zeroing and have a high linear accuracy.
- Stainless steel TWIN CRYSTAL probes, used in echo-echo and single-echo modes, have improved measurability on extreme back wall corrosion and pitting.
- Probes for use with the Cygnus 2+, 4, 4+ and 6+ gauges are fitted with a BNC or Lemo 00 connector.